As a writer, and extension, a creator, I think it’s safe to say most in the field have dreams and goals that they wish to achieve, and I consider myself to be no extension. At the top of my list of goals of I wish to reach as a writer is two things:
- Be a guest at a fan convention
- Be featured on the Web show DEATH BATTLE!
DEATH BATTLE! is a web show done by the website ScrewAttack and the point of the show is to take two fictional characters and have them fight to the death to determine who’s the better of the two. I’ve been watching it for a few years now and there are a lot of good episodes and some bad ones. The reason I see this as one of my ultimate goals is because of the fact that my character was requested by fans to be on that show. DEATH BATTLE!‘s matchups are the requests of fans (or at least most of them, from what I’ve heard), and if a character of mine was to be featured on that show, it meant that a title I’ve created has developed such a following that a whole bunch of people want me to be on a show that I consider to be one of the best Web shows on the entire Internet. That kind immortality is freaking awesome.
If you want my personal opinion on DEATH BATTLE!, here are mine:
- My favorite episodes are (in no particuar order): Goku vs. Superman, Power Rangers vs. Voltron, Scrooge McDuck vs. Shovel Knight, Joker vs. Sweet Tooth, Batman vs. Spider-Man, Iron Man vs. Lex Luthor, Guts vs. Nightmare, Amy Rose vs. Ramona Flowers, and Ratchet & Clank vs. Jak & Daxter.
- DO NOT WACH THE EPISODE Justin Beiber vs. Rebecca Black. It’s just an excuse to see Internet versions of Justin Beiber and Rebecca Black to both die horribly because they were both the cool things to hate on the Internet when that particular episode was released in 2011 (Rebecca Black’s Friday was huge, and the Internet’s hate levels for Justin Beiber was at its peak.) Personally, I don’t care for either of them and the reason I hate that episode because it was just a stupid episode that was the Internet equivalent of saying you hate something just so people can think you’re cool and you can get the admiration of the cool kids.
- At the end of Boba Fett vs. Samus Aran Remastered, there’s a song that was muted because of copyright issues. Here’s that episode that someone uploaded to DailyMotion that has the song intact.
So there you go. When it comes to me being a writer, it’s DEATH BATTLE! or bust, at least when it comes to my long form work that features a lot of action. Wish me luck.